People often wonder what the difference is between frozen yogurt and yogurt ice cream. We have covered frozen yogurt in detail in a previous post here. As far as yogurt ice cream is concerned, it probably came about as a happy accident. The basic premise of yogurt ice cream is that it is a mix between frozen yogurt and homemade ice cream. People who have made ice cream at home before will not have any problem following this recipe and making it to perfection.
Yogurt Ice Cream Ingredients
You Will Need:
- 1 cup milk: Use low-fat milk to make the yogurt ice cream healthy and nutritious. You can also use whole milk.
- 12 ounces yogurt: The choice of yogurt is yours. I would recommend using Greek yogurt because it is whey-free. However, feel free to use homemade plain yogurt. You can also use flavored yogurt, but make sure it is consistent with the flavor of the ice cream you are making.
- ¾ cup sugar: A little indulgence never hurt anybody so you can use sugar when making yogurt ice cream. However, if you want to keep the recipe sugar-free, you can use brown sugar. Any other sweetening agents might not produce the desired results.
- 2 egg yolks: Put the egg yolks into a small bowl and start whisking. Beat them properly before you start making yogurt ice cream. The recipe requires you to use beaten egg yolks.
- ¾ cup cream: The choice of cream is again up to you but I would suggest you keep it consistent with the type of milk you are using. For instance, if you are using low-fat milk, use low-fat cream as well.
There are two parts to this recipe. The first part involves preparing the base for the ice cream, which is primarily yogurt. The second part involves getting the custard mixture ready that will be used to flavor the yogurt ice cream.
- Take the saucepan and put the milk, cream and sugar into it. You don’t have to mix them just yet. Turn the stove on to medium heat and cook until bubbles start appearing. Once again, you have to prevent the milk from boiling, so be careful. Start stirring the mixture when it begins to heat up. On medium heat, this would mean around 4 to 5 minutes after you put the saucepan on the stove. This is around the time it would take for the milk to start heating up.
- Use a plastic cup to retrieve ½ cup of the mixture that you have heated on the stove. Be cautious when you are taking the mixture, as it will be extremely hot at the time.
- Put the beaten egg yolks into a small mixing bowl and pour the ½ cup mixture you have extracted. Whisk egg yolks and the mixture together till they blend well and combine.
- Bring the heat down to low and pour the contents of the small mixing bowl back into the saucepan. Once again, be very careful when doing this as any spillage could cause a burn.
- Let the mixture cook for around 5 minutes on low heat. By this time, the mixture will have thickened enough that it should coat any spoon or fork you put into it.
- Now, take the heatproof bowl and put a metal sieve over it. Through the sieve pour the mixture into the heatproof bowl.
- Fill a large bowl with water and put some ice in it. Place the heatproof bowl into the large bowl till it cools down. You can also put the bowl in the fridge if you feel that is easier for you to do. Either way, it will take a few hours for the mixture to cool down sufficiently.
- Once it is cool enough to handle, take a fork and start beating the mixture. Make sure the yogurt is completely smooth before you stop beating it.
To make it easier to understand, I am going to follow the recipe for strawberry yogurt ice cream.
- Take a cup of fresh strawberries. Remove the stems and seeds, also ensuring that the strawberries are clean. Cut into small pieces.
- Put the cream, sugar, vanilla extract, strawberries and salt into the blender.
- Blend the mixture for a minute or so. Keep going till the strawberry chunks have been completely blended and the ingredients are mixed properly. The mixture should be thick and frothy.
Once you have completed both parts of the recipe, you have to combine the two. The custard mixture will be poured into the yogurt and mixed properly. To freeze the ice cream, you can follow any of the methods which were described in the chapter on frozen yogurt. In case you have an ice cream maker, follow the instructions provided to learn how to freeze ice cream in it.
The most important part of making yogurt ice cream is choosing a flavour for it. If you want to make fruity ice cream, you can use fresh fruits, but it is also possible that you may prefer a non-fruit flavour such as chocolate. The great thing is that you don’t have to limit yourself to a certain flavour or a specific type of ingredient.
Most people have a favourite ice cream flavour and they stick with it if they want.At the same time, I would recommend that you don’t use artificial flavouring. Though it does deliver the taste you are looking for, it is not healthy. Fresh ingredients are far tastier and their flavour is more pronounced. In other words, they are a better choice for yogurt ice cream.
That being said, I still would like to make it clear that you can choose any flavour you want. The preference for ice cream flavour varies from person to person. Who am I to ask you to select one flavour over another? As you can see, making yogurt ice cream is not too hard.
If you are confused about choosing between frozen yogurt and yogurt ice cream, I would say you try both and then determine which one is better for you. They are equally nutritious and healthy, so it is a win-win situation.